Flatwater Paddle: Sunday on the Hooch! - BYO Boat
Roswell GA: Azalea Park to Morgan Falls Overlook Park
|Date(s) & Time:||Sun, Mar 29 2015
9:00 am >> Sun, Mar 29 2015 2:00 pm
Tue, Mar 24 2015 7:00 pm
|Registration Cut Off:
Sat, Mar 28 2015 2:00 pm
|Event Duration:||5 Hours |
|Difficulty Rating:||D3: Moderate (Exploratory)|
|Trip Leader(s):||Thomas W.|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
Members Only, 21 And Older Only
|Maximum Group Size:||12|
|Minimum Group Size:||2|
|Number Registered So Far:||
7 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
|Are Dogs Permitted:||
Note: This is an "EXPLORATORY" trip. This means that there are parts of this trip, or perhaps the whole trip, that is new to your Trip Leader(s). However, they are confident that this will not be an issue.
This note is here so that you can make an informed decision. When a Trip Leader isn't personally familiar with a trip, there is an increased chance of things not going as planned and you need to be prepared. The Trip Leader may have additional details in the itinerary.
IMPORTANT NOTE: BRING YOUR OWN KAYAK or CANOE + GEAR, REFRESHMENTS & SNACKS. This event is intended only for AOC members who can provide and paddle their own kayak/canoe (inflatables are discouraged unless high quality).
OVERVIEW: A popular launching spot for flatwater kayaking, canoeing and rowing, Roswell's Azalea Park is along Azalea Drive just west of the Roswell Road (GA-9) bridge over the river. The boat ramp and free parking by the ramp give convenient access to this scenic flatwater section of the Chattahoochee upstream of Morgan Falls Dam. Since there are no rapids or shoals to contend with and only a slow river current, we will paddle with relative ease to the City of Sandy Springs Morgan Falls Overlook Park. Before stopping, we'll head down a nearby inlet for about a mile then head back to Overlook Park where we will take a break, have a snack/lunch and enjoy the fine facilities before heading on to the dam and then back to Azalea Park.
EVENT PLAN: We'll gather with our boats and gear at the Park boat ramp at 9:00AM (see detailed directions below) and plan to paddle about 8 or 9 miles total. We intend to stop occasionally to enjoy refreshments and shoot photos, but while paddling would like to maintain a steady pace. I expect we'll get back to the ramp between 1:00 and 2:00 PM. Along the way we'll pass the rocky outcrops of Cedar Cliffs as well as a few little side creeks and areas that we may be able to explore depending on time and water levels.
Thanks to Scott Kozlowski for allowing me to borrow most of his original write-up!
|Required Items to Bring:|
1. Your own Kayak or Canoe (all styles acceptable, some inflatables tend to be much slower than hard boats, esp. on flatwater, so I discourage them unless they are of a high quality)
2. Your own Paddle and PFD (at least one Coast Guard approved personal flotation device per person in each boat).
3. Bring and stow securely in your boat Beverages & Snacks that are NOT in glass containers. Glass is illegal on the River, but plastic, paper and metal containers are OK.
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
|How to Get There:|
FROM the GA-400/I-285 INTERCHANGE on ATLANTA'S NORTH SIDE:
1. Take GA-400 North about 5 miles to Exit #6, "Northridge Rd," and exit toward your right.
2. At the exit loop clockwise up onto Northridge Road and proceed just 0.1 mile to the first traffic light, just west of the GA- 400 overpass.
3. Bear Right at that light onto Dunwoody Place and take it 1.3 miles to the traffic light at Roswell Road.
4. Turn Right onto Roswell Road (GA-9 North) and take it just 0.6 mile to the traffic light at Azalea Drive (just past the Chattahoochee River bridge).
5. Turn Left onto Azalea Drive and take it about 0.8 mile to the Azalea Park boat ramp entrance on your left.
6. Park temporarily by the boat ramp and unload your kayak or canoe and gear. We can stage the boats on the riverbank near the ramp. Free parking likely will be available in nearby parking spaces - if not, it's normally OK to park along the shoulder of Azalea Drive.
DESTINATION LAT/LON for GPS NAVIGATION or GOOGLE MAPS:
Coordinates of the Boat Ramp at Roswell's Azalea Park:
CLICK this LINK for a DETAIL MAP of AZALEA PARK and the RIVER:
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.