Amicalola - Len Foote Hike In loop
|Event Location:||Amicalola State Park|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Dec 14 2019 8:00 am >> Sat, Dec 14 2019 3:30 pm (Carpool Departure: 8:00 am *log in for location*)|
|Registration Opens:||Mon, Dec 9 2019 8:00 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Fri, Dec 13 2019 10:00 pm|
|Event Duration:||7 Hours 30 Minutes|
|Difficulty Rating:||D4: Moderate to Difficult|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||12|
|Minimum Group Size:||4|
|Number Registered So Far:||11 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
|Come join me to visit the Amicalola falls from the top ,and hike to beautiful
hike Inn where hot chocolate and other drinks awaite us. How cool is that?
This is a moderate to difficult loop hike at a moderate pace. We will stop
and wait for slower hikers at Frosty Mountain (the highest elevation of the
hike) and at the turn from the AT approach trail onto the Hike Inn Trail, as
well as at the Hike Inn itself.|
We’ll meet at carpool at 8:00 and on the parking lot above the fall at 9:15. We start our hike from parking lot on top of the falls. From that trailhead, we will hike the AT Approach trail northward for 4.5 miles with a short stop at Frosty Mountain. This trail has a lot of ups and downs, but mostly ups, and some of the ups are steep. We will turn right onto the Len Foote Trail and hike a mile to Len Foote Hike Inn.
We will stop at the Inn to look around a bit and eat our packed lunch in the dining hall there. The Inn does not serve lunch to dayhikers but sometimes will have some dessert or fruit that you can take in exchange for tips to the Inn’s staff. This is not a guarantee, so be sure to bring your own lunch. They will have iced tea, lemonade, hot water, tea bags and chocolate and other drinks that you can pay for with tips.
From the Inn we will continue southward 5 miles to top of the falls via the Len Foote Trail.
There is a $5 GA DNR parking fee per vehicle at Amicalola Falls State Park unless you display an annual pass.
Because of the distance and elevation gain, this is not a beginners hike, but still a good introduction to hiking in the North Georgia mountains. If your AOC history does not show recent D3 or higher experience, then I will contact you to confirm this event is appropriate for your current level.
|How to Get There:|
DIRECTIONS from GA-400/ I-285 INTERCHANGE in N ATLANTA (Sandy
Springs) to AMICALOLA FALLS STATE PARK (about 60 miles or 90
1. From the GA-400/ I-285 interchange go North on GA-400/US-19 N about 42 miles to the traffic light at GA-136 (a.k.a. Harmony Church Rd).
2. Turn Left off GA-400 onto GA-136 and follow it westward about 17.3 miles.
3. Bear Right onto GA-183 (a.k.a. Elliott Pkwy) and go about 1.1 miles.
4. Bear Right onto GA-52 East and go 1.6 miles.
5. Turn Left onto Amicalola Falls State Park Rd, at the park entrance.
6. Continue northward just 0.2 mile to the State Park Visitor Center on your right.
7. Turn left drive up and turn right when you see top of fall Parking sign on the right, keep going until you get to the end of parking lot. We’ll meet there around 9:15. GPS and GOOGLE.COM/MAPS USERS may wish to augment the above directions by entering the Visitor Center's street Address or Lat/Lon coordinates as your destination:
418 Amicalola Falls State Park Rd, Dawsonville, GA 30534 34.55782,-84.24957
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||112Mile(s)|
|Carpool Departure Time:||8:00 am|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
|Carpool Directions:||Log in for directions|
|Carpool Cost:||Estimated cost per vehicle for this event is $44.80 using a reimbursement rate guideline of $0.400 per mile. The total amount should be divided by the number of people in the vehicle, including the driver. This is a guideline, not a rule, for drivers but the cost should not be higher unless there are extenuating circumstances.|
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.