Saturday morning at Arabia Mountain
|Event Location:||Arabia Mountain|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Jul 25 2020 8:00 am >> Sat, Jul 25 2020 10:30 am|
|Registration Opens:||Tue, Jul 21 2020 7:00 am|
|Registration Cut Off:||Sat, Jul 25 2020 8:00 am|
|Event Duration:||2 Hours 30 Minutes|
|Difficulty Rating:||D2: Easy to Moderate (Exploratory)|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||10|
|Minimum Group Size:||4|
|Number Registered So Far:||9 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
Note: This is an "EXPLORATORY" trip. This means that there are parts of this trip, or perhaps the whole trip, that is new to your Trip Leader(s). However, they are confident that this will not be an issue.
This note is here so that you can make an informed decision. When a Trip Leader isn't personally familiar with a trip, there is an increased chance of things not going as planned and you need to be prepared. The Trip Leader may have additional details in the itinerary.
Exploratory hike at Arabia Mountain - there are soft trails and paved trails - will try to stick to soft trails as much as possible but we will have to hit pavement at some points. Parking at 4144 Klondike Road, Lithonia at the AWARE Wildlife Center.
I have hiked here before but never lead a hike at Arabia - I'll study up in advance and have a map but may take a few wrong turns anyway but we'll figure it out.
6 miles is my plan (may be slightly over/under). Time estimate 2 1/2 hours (again slightly over/under)
Not sure on the restroom situation here so plan on not having any
parking is free
AOC limit on this event is 10 hikers - ocassionally (if everybody logs in at once and registers at once) the system has a glitch and may allow more than 10 hikers on the event. If this does happen I am obligated to keep to the 10 limit and remove the last ones that signed up. I get notification of time you register and to be fair the first 10 are the only ones that I keep on the roster.
|How to Get There:|
ARABIA MOUNTAIN is in the SE corner of DeKalb County (east of Atlanta near Lithonia, GA and I-20).
1) From Atlanta or I-285 proceed eastbound on I-20 and get off to your Right at Exit #74("Evans Mill Rd/Lithonia").
2) Take the 1.3-mile-long exit ramp STRAIGHT AHEAD to its end at the traffic light where Evans Mill Rd crosses underneath I-20. (AVOID BEARING RIGHT off the ramp at the first "Evans Mill" opportunity!)
3) Turn Right at the traffic light onto Evans Mill Road and go just 0.1 mile to the next traffic light.
4) At the light go straight ahead onto Woodrow Drive (avoiding the right turn to stay on Evans Mill Rd or the left turn onto Mall Pkwy) and continue another 0.8 mile to the stop sign at Klondike Road.
5) Turn Right onto Klondike Road and after about 1 mile you will cross Rockland Road. Continue on Klondike Road 1 more mile past Rockland Rd to the Arabia Mountain Heritage Area SOUTH parking lot on your left. (This free lot where we'll meet is just beyond the junction of Klondike Road with N. Goddard Rd.)
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.