Arabia Mountain Loop
|Event Location:||Arabia Mountain, SOUTH parking lot|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sun, Sep 12 2021 8:00 am >> Sun, Sep 12 2021 11:00 am|
|Registration Opens:||Mon, Sep 6 2021 9:30 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Sun, Sep 12 2021 6:00 am|
|Event Duration:||3 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D2: Easy to Moderate|
|Trip Leader(s):||Richard A. Zalik|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||12|
|Minimum Group Size:||4|
|Number Registered So Far:||9 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||Yes|
Like Stone Mountain, Arabia Mountain is a granite monadnock nearly 400 million years old. The area has unique plant and wildlife, spectacular geological formations, and interesting signs of human history. We will explore the mountain, the old quarry areas, and a nearby lake. In case of thunderstorms we will modify our itinerary, so as to avoid exposed areas.
|How to Get There:|
ARABIA MOUNTAIN is in the SE corner of DeKalb County (east of Atlanta near Lithonia, GA and I-20).
1) From Atlanta or I-285 proceed eastbound on I-20 and get off to your Right at Exit #74("Evans Mill Rd/Lithonia").
2) Take the 1.3-mile-long exit ramp STRAIGHT AHEAD to its end at the traffic light where Evans Mill Rd crosses underneath I-20. (AVOID BEARING RIGHT off the ramp at the first "Evans Mill" opportunity!)
3) Turn Right at the traffic light onto Evans Mill Road and go just 0.1 mile to the next traffic light.
4) At the light go straight ahead onto Woodrow Drive (avoiding the right turn to stay on Evans Mill Rd or the left turn onto Mall Pkwy) and continue another 0.8 mile to the stop sign at Klondike Road.
5) Turn Right onto Klondike Road and after about 1 mile you will cross Rockland Road. Continue on Klondike Road 1 more mile past Rockland Rd to the Arabia Mountain Heritage Area SOUTH parking lot on your left. (This free lot where we'll meet is just beyond the junction of Klondike Road with N. Goddard Rd.)
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.