New Year's Eve Kennesaw Mountain Hike
|Event Location:||Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park|
|Date(s) & Time:||Fri, Dec 31 2010 9:00 am >> N/A|
|Registration Opens:||Fri, Dec 24 2010 8:00 am|
|Registration Cut Off:||Fri, Dec 31 2010 7:15 am|
|Event Duration:||Approximately 3 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D4: Moderate to Difficult|
|Trip Leader(s):||Clay White|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||14|
|Minimum Group Size:||1|
|Number Registered So Far:||17 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||Yes|
We will cross both Kennesaw and Little Kennesaw Mountains, then turn around and cross them both again. While this is not a power hike, it will be strenuous, with only one or two rest breaks, and including almost 1200 feet of elevation gain. The total distance is between five and six miles. Therefore, you should be in good to excellent physical condition to attempt this hike. If you have questions about your ability, it is better to err on the side of caution.
We will meet at the visitor's center just outside the lobby for sign-in. Please arrive a few minutes early to take care of the paper work. Also allow time for parking. By 9:00 a.m the main parking lot may be full, requiring you to park further away.
|How to Get There:|
|Event Directions:||1) I-75 North to exit 267B Hwy 5 Canton Road Connector|
2) If you are not heading west after getting off of the Interstate you are going the wrong way. You should be heading towards US 41 and downtown Marietta after getting off of I-75 onto the Canton Road Connector and see Kennesaw Mountain on your right.
3) You will be tempted to take the first exit off of the Canton Road Connector which is US 41, but do not take it. Proceed over US 41 on a bridge staying on the Canton Road Connector.
4) After crossing US 41 take a right at the first redlight which is Church Street Extenson.
5) You should cross railroad tracks soon.
6) Take a left onto Old 41 at the second redlight. If you get to US 41 again, you have missed the turn onto Old 41 so turn around.
7) Stay on Old US 41 until you pass in front of the mountain. Take a left at the red-light onto Stilesboro Road and then a left into the visitor's center parking lot, or park on the right-hand side of the road after passing the redlight for Stilesboro Road.
8) Last resort / panic mode / all available parking spaces have been taken: When this happens, here is where to park - Turn around and head back in front of the mountain on Old 41. Take the first left which is White Circle Road. Take the first right which is White Road Court. Park on the side of the road.
Dogs must remain on leashes, in accordance with park rules.|
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
|Cost Includes:||No cost.|
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.
*Note: A little rain won't stop us, unless it is cold. I will consider weather circumstances on a case by case basis.