Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
Memorial Day Paddle down the Hooch
|Event Location:||Chattahoochee River - Johnson Ferry to Paces Mill|
|Date(s) & Time:||Mon, May 25 2015 11:00 am >> Mon, May 25 2015 5:00 pm|
|Registration Opens:||Sun, May 24 2015 1:40 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Mon, May 25 2015 9:00 am|
|Event Duration:||6 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D3: Moderate|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||14|
|Minimum Group Size:||2|
|Number Registered So Far:||5 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||Yes|
Come out and join us for a nice Memorial Day paddle down the beautiful Chattahoochee River. We will begin our journey from the Johnson Ferry unit boat ramp and paddle 7 miles down river to the Paces Mill takeout. Parts of the paddle will be on calm flowing water, and some sections will be on some mild whitewater shoals - at most, Class 1 rapids. The route will include the very scenic section of river along the banks of the Cochran Shoals Unit, the Devil's racecourse between the cliffs of the East and West Palisades Units, and then along Long Island - the one in the Chattachoochee, not the one in New York.
We will take our time enjoying the scenery along the way and may explore some creeks, shoals, or other points of interest along the way. We can also make a short stop at the cliffs along the East Palisades Unit for anyone who wants to cool off and take the 20' plunge off of the popular "jump off" rock.
Weather - As of this posting, there is a 40% chance of isolated storms on Memorial Day. In other words, there's a 60% chance it won't rain. Unless the forecast dramatically changes for the worse, the event will proceed. The temperature will be around 80, so a little rain should not cause you to melt - just wear quick dry clothing and bring a rain jacket if you wish. If a T-storm pops up, we'll just pull off the river for a short period until it blows over. It is a water event... No whiners. ;-)
This is a BYOB event. It is suitable for canoes and kayaks of any style. However, NO tubes, rafts, or other floating things that can not be "paddled".
After unloading our gear at the Johnson's Ferry boat ramp, we will leave one or two people to guard the gear, and we will take some of the vehicles down to the Paces Ferry takeout.
|How to Get There:|
Intersection of Johnson Ferry Rd and Columns Drive. The park entrance is on Johnson Ferry Rd, directly across from the end of Columns Drive. For directions, you can use:
161 Johnson Ferry Rd SE
Marietta, GA 30068
Or GPS coordinates:
There is a $3 parking fee at either the Johnson Ferry or Paces Mill Units unless you have an annual pass.
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.