Once you've reviewed the event details, and decided you'd like to join us, you MUST
sign up at the bottom of this page
Botanical Garden Walk & Talk featuring native blooming Trilliums
East metro Atlanta near I-285/ I-20 interchange
|Date(s) & Time:||Fri, Apr 8 2016
10:00 am >> Fri, Apr 8 2016 1:00 pm
Tue, Apr 5 2016 9:30 pm
|Registration Cut Off:
Fri, Apr 8 2016 9:00 am
|Event Duration:||3 Hours |
|Difficulty Rating:||D1: Easy|
|Trip Leader(s):||Charlie Cottingham|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
Members Only, 21 And Older Only
|Maximum Group Size:||12|
|Minimum Group Size:||2|
|Number Registered So Far:||
8 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
|Are Dogs Permitted:||
IN A NUTSHELL: Hope you can join us Friday morning for this delightful free 3-hour event at the GA Perimeter College Native Plant Botanical Garden. Each spring and fall the GPC Decatur Campus sponsors these weekly "Friday open-house walk & talk" events hosted by expert naturalists. On display at the garden are hundreds of species of beautiful trees, wildflowers, shrubs, vines, ferns and other fascinating plants. Their "Ferns of the World" exhibit is said to have perhaps more different species of ferns than any other garden in the United States!
EVENT DETAILS: Our Atlanta Outdoor Club "subgroup" will gather at 10:00 AM at the garden entrance - see detailed directions & GPS info below. After introducing one another we'll walk in together and first explore the greenhouse area where a variety of potted native plants are offered for sale to garden guests at reasonable prices.
At 10:30 AM we'll join native plants experts Tom Patrick and John Little for a leisurely guided walk through the garden focusing on the many species of gorgeous Trilliums that are native to Georgia and bloom at this time of year. Then at 12:00 Noon we'll regroup in a nearby classroom for an indoor presentation by Mr. Patrick also on the subject of Trilliums.
Bring a picnic lunch if you like, and we can enjoy our lunches and share extra items both before and during the classroom talk.
If you can join us only for the Walk, or the Talk, but not both - no problem. Feel free to arrive and depart as your schedule permits.
FOR MORE about the GPC BOTANICAL GARDEN and lots of lovely photos click on the following link: http://gpcnativegarden.org/index.html
For a complete schedule of GPC's free "Friday open-house walks & talks" this season (and their specific topics) click on "Plant Talks and Garden Walks" on the left side of the Home Page.
|Required Items to Bring:|
- Wear comfortable Clothing & Walking Shoes.
- Consider bringing a little Water and/or hydrate well before the event.
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
- A light Daypack or Fanny Pack for carrying your personal items.
- A Picnic Lunch & Beverage. We can take the time to have lunch together just after the guided walk and/or during the talk.
- A Pen or Pencil and small Notebook in case you'd like to take notes.
- Your Camera! The GPC Garden is a very photogenic place and your shots can remind you of new plant species you've learned, etc.
- Some Cash and/or your Checkbook in case you'd like to purchase some of the nice potted native plants for your own garden or as gifts for friends.
- A compact Umbrella or other light raingear, esp. if there's a likelihood of showers in the forecast.
|How to Get There:|
DIRECTIONS from I-285/ I-85 "SPAGHETTI JCN" INTERCHANGE in NE METRO ATLANTA:
1. From the I-285/ I-85 Interchange (near Doraville) take I-285 southward about 15 miles and get off at the "Flat Shoals Rd" exit (I-285 exit #48 which is 2 mi south of the big east-side I-285/ I-20 interchange).
2. Turn Right onto Flat Shoals Road and go just 0.2 mile (northwestward) to the traffic light at Panthersville Rd.
3. Turn Left onto Panthersville Rd and continue straight ahead for about 1 mile (southward). After passing through the traffic light at Clifton Springs Rd get in the rightmost lane of traffic.
4. About 0.1 mile beyond the traffic light look for a small brown "Botanical Garden" sign and turn Right into the large parking lot.
5. Meet me and our AOC "subgroup" at 10:00 AM in the far side of the parking lot near the garden entrance path. (If you arrive early feel free to explore the garden on your own before you meet us. Conversely if you have to be late, no problem! - just look for our slow-moving group in the garden or along its adjoining wooded pathways.)
For a zoomable map or satellite view of our meetup spot near the garden entrance click on the rectangular blue & green "Event Location" icon near the top of this article.
You GPS Users may wish to augment the above directions by entering the following Lat/Lon coordinates of our meetup spot as your destination: 33.68706,-84.27415
The street address & phone number of GPC's "Native Plant Botanical Garden" are:
3251 Panthersville Rd, Decatur, GA 678-891-2668
FREE Event with free Parking and never a Garden Entrance Fee!
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.