Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
Saturday Morning Hike: Murphey Candler Loop near Arabia Mountain
|Event Location:||Murphey Candler Elementary School parking lot|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Apr 16 2016 10:00 am >> Sat, Apr 16 2016 2:30 pm (Carpool Departure: 9:15 am *log in for location*)|
|Registration Opens:||Mon, Apr 11 2016 7:00 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Sat, Apr 16 2016 4:00 am|
|Event Duration:||4 Hours 30 Minutes|
|Difficulty Rating:||D3: Moderate|
|Trip Leader(s):||Richard A. Zalik|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||16|
|Minimum Group Size:||4|
|Number Registered So Far:||11 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||Yes|
This loop within the Davidson-Arabia Mountain Nature Preserve goes through rolling wooded hills and a varied and pleasant landscape. The itinerary covers the Cascade, Wilburn Farm, Boomerang and Laurel Creek trails, and approximately 1.7 miles of the PATH paved trail. About two hours into the hike we will stop for one hour to have a picnic lunch.
|How to Get There:|
ARABIA MOUNTAIN NATIONAL HERITAGE AREA is in the SE corner of DeKalb County (east of Atlanta near Lithonia, GA and I-20).
1) From Atlanta or I-285 proceed eastbound on I-20 and get off to your Right at Exit #74("Evans Mill Rd/Lithonia").
2) Take the 1.3-mile-long exit ramp STRAIGHT AHEAD to its end at the traffic light where Evans Mill Rd crosses underneath I-20. (AVOID BEARING RIGHT off the ramp at the first "Evans Mill" opportunity!)
3) Turn Right at the traffic light onto Evans Mill Road and go just 0.1 mile to the next traffic light.
4) At the light go straight ahead onto Woodrow Drive (avoiding the right turn to stay on Evans Mill Rd or the left turn onto Mall Pkwy) and continue another 0.8 mile to the stop sign at Klondike Road.
5) Turn right onto Klondike Road and proceed 2.7 miles to the blinking yellow light on South Goddard. Turn right and proceed straight ahead 0.2 miles to the end of the road.
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||60Mile(s)|
|Carpool Departure Time:||9:15 am|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
|Carpool Directions:||Log in for directions|
|Carpool Cost:||Estimated cost per vehicle for this event is $24.00 using a reimbursement rate guideline of $0.400 per mile. The total amount should be divided by the number of people in the vehicle, including the driver. This is a guideline, not a rule, for drivers but the cost should not be higher unless there are extenuating circumstances.|
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.