Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
DATE CHANGE - Pioneer Camping - Dog Friendly - A H Stephens State Park
|Event Location:||A H Stephens State Park|
|Date(s) & Time:||Fri, Sep 30 2016 1:00 pm >> Sun, Oct 2 2016 12:00 pm|
|Registration Opens:||Thu, Sep 8 2016 8:00 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Thu, Sep 22 2016 8:00 pm|
|Event Duration:||1 Days 23 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D2: Easy to Moderate|
|Trip Leader(s):||Chris L|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Member Cost:||$15.00/Person (See Detailed Cost Info Below)|
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||18|
|Minimum Group Size:||10|
|Number Registered So Far:||9 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||Yes|
It's our favorite season of the year: Camping Season! The weather is cooling off, the dogs are frisky and mother nature are calling. If you know this feeling, join me at this pioneer campsite at A H Stephens State Park. Named after the vice president of the Confederacy and former governor of Georgia, A.H. Stephens. The primitive campsite at the park comes with some amenities usually not found on pioneer sites. We will have a pavilion with lights and electricity - woo hoo! Two water spigots; an Adirondack shelter; a fire ring with benches on all sides; and best of all, a very short walk to a bathroom with flush commodes. In other words, an awesome, outdoorsy weekend. Meals are not included for this camping event. Everyone is responsible for providing all their own food and beverages.
The Grand PLAN:
Chris will check in by 1:00pm, and start setting up camp.
The rest of the group arrives at the park sometime in the afternoon or evening, sets up camp, cooks dinner, and enjoys dinner by the fire. Later, we sit around the campfire creating 'Smores, and telling (mostly true) stories. Accomplished musicians are encouraged to bring their instruments.
This is an a la carte trip, so you get to plan your own day! Choices include:
a) Hiking some of the nature trails at the park.
b) Visiting the park's Confederate Museum with one of the finest collections of Civil War artifacts in Georgia. Stephens’ home, Liberty Hall, is renovated to its 1875 style, fully furnished and open for tours.
d) Renting a bike or paddleboat from the park office.
f) Relax around the camp site.
Wake up, eat up (breakfast), pack up, clear up (the campsite), and head out.
Group Limit for dogs: FIVE dogs + Gracie (my dog)
Dogs are welcome on this event as long as they are supervised by their human at all times. Park rules require your dog be leashed. Also, dogs are not allowed in or around historic sites, cottages, lodges, group camps, and swimming areas. Humans are responsible for the care and feeding of their dog and should ALWAYS clean up after their dog. Humans are solely responsible for their dog's behavior, and dogs that cannot be controlled may either have to be leashed, or in serious cases, asked to leave the event.
FULL DISCLOSURE TIME:
This is not a PARTY trip. So, while we encourage responsible drinking, we DO NOT support "party" drinking or bingeing. BTW, while the State Park has strict regulations against alcoholic beverages, our experience shows that most will tolerate alcohol in concealed containers.
We plan to play with our four- legged friends, walk, cook, laze about, and generally "rough it" for a couple of days. Seriously, if you are a Hilton/Marriott style camper, this one is not for you! There are flush commodes, but no showers. However, rumor has it that one can shower at the nearby campground FOR A FEW BUCKS, so start saving those pennies!
|How to Get There:|
1. Plug in the following address:
A.H. Stephens Historic Park
2. Enter the Park and proceed to the Park office to pay the $5 parking fee.
3. Follow signs to Primitive Campsite.
OLD SCHOOL (SEAT OF THE PANTS) DIRECTIONS
1. Take I-20 East (toward Augusta)
2. Exit #148. Turn Left
3. Turn right at the junction of Hwy 22 and Hwy 278.
4. Turn left at the first traffic light.
5. Go 2 blocks, turn left, and then make an immediate right onto the street leading to the Park.
6. Enter the Park and proceed to the Park office to pay the $5 parking fee.
7. Follow signs to Primitive Campsite.
We encourage participants to carpool to the State Park. If you are interested in carpooling, feel free to contact other participants on the event to arrange your carpool.
Important information for paid events in which payment is managed through the AOC:
- Payment must be received by the payment due date and prior to participation in the event.
- Some paid events require a minimum number of registered participants. If that number is not met, the event will be canceled and refunds will be issued to those who have already paid.
- Third-party vendors often require damage deposits. Each registrant agrees to be liable for and required to reimburse the Atlanta Outdoor Club for any withheld deposits due to the actions of or damages caused by that registrant.
- No partial payments. All registrants must pay the posted Member Cost regardless of any agreement you may have with any party involved in the event.
- Read the event description carefully for additional information, and contact the trip leader(s) with any questions.
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
|Cost & Payment:|
|Payment Cut Off:||Payment must be received by the AOC on Thu, Sep 22 2016.|
|Make a Payment:||Click here for the details. PLEASE PAY AFTER YOU HAVE SIGNED UP BELOW.|
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.
If you cancel on or before September 22nd, full payment is refundable
less a $5 administrative fee. No refund after September 22nd, unless
someone from the waitlist replaces you and pays in full. In that case, you
are eligible for a full refund less a $5 administrative fee.