Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
Saturday Hike: Arabia-Murphey Candler Long Loop
|Event Location:||Arabia Mountain South Parking Lot|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, May 6 2017 9:00 am >> Sat, May 6 2017 4:00 pm|
|Registration Opens:||Sun, Apr 30 2017 8:00 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Sat, May 6 2017 4:00 am|
|Event Duration:||7 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D4: Moderate to Difficult|
|Trip Leader(s):||Richard A. Zalik|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||16|
|Minimum Group Size:||4|
|Number Registered So Far:||2 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||Yes|
Like Stone Mountain, Arabia Mountain is a granite monadnock nearly 400 million years old. The area has unique plant and wildlife, spectacular geological formations, and interesting signs of human history.
Our hike will start at the South Parking Lot, next to the AWARE Nature Center. From the parking lot we will walk around a mile on the mountain, partly on the Mountain Top trail, cross Klondike Rd, and go a short distance on PATH to the Davidson-Arabia Mountain Nature Center. From there we walk to the east margin of Arabia Lake and from there on a trail that ends at N. Goddard Rd. After crossing the road we walk a short distance on back trails to the Wilbur Farm, and do a loop that includes the Wilbur Farm Trail, The Boomerang trail, a section of PATH that ends at the Evans Mill trailhead and the Cascade Trail. After returning to the Wilbur Farm we cross N. Goddard Rd again and walk a quarter of a mile on an abandoned forest road to PATH, which we will follow for about half a mile until we switch to a short section of trail that will lead us to the Mile Rock Trail. We will then recross Klondike Rd, go up the mountain and return to our starting point walking partly on the Mountain View trail.
We will have lunch on the trail.
|How to Get There:|
ARABIA MOUNTAIN is in the SE corner of DeKalb County (east of Atlanta near Lithonia, GA and I-20).
1) From Atlanta or I-285 proceed eastbound on I-20 and get off to your Right at Exit #74("Evans Mill Rd/Lithonia").
2) Take the 1.3-mile-long exit ramp STRAIGHT AHEAD to its end at the traffic light where Evans Mill Rd crosses underneath I-20. (AVOID BEARING RIGHT off the ramp at the first "Evans Mill" opportunity!)
3) Turn Right at the traffic light onto Evans Mill Road and go just 0.1 mile to the next traffic light.
4) At the light go straight ahead onto Woodrow Drive (avoiding the right turn to stay on Evans Mill Rd or the left turn onto Mall Pkwy) and continue another 0.8 mile to the stop sign at Klondike Road.
5) Turn Right onto Klondike Road and after about 1 mile you will cross Rockland Road. Continue on Klondike Road 1 more mile past Rockland Rd to the Arabia Mountain Heritage Area SOUTH parking lot on your left. (This free lot where we'll meet is just beyond the junction of Klondike Road with N. Goddard Rd.)
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.