Once you've reviewed the event details, and decided you'd like to join us, you MUST
sign up at the bottom of this page
Lullwater Park Evening Hike - Beginners Welcome
1900 Starvine Way, in NE Atlanta via Clairmont Rd
|Date(s) & Time:||Sun, Jun 24 2018
4:00 pm >> Sun, Jun 24 2018 6:00 pm
Wed, Jun 20 2018 7:49 pm
|Registration Cut Off:
Sat, Jun 23 2018 7:49 pm
|Event Duration:||2 Hours |
|Difficulty Rating:||D2: Easy to Moderate|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
Members Only, 21 And Older Only
|Maximum Group Size:||12|
|Minimum Group Size:||2|
|Number Registered So Far:||
14 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
|Are Dogs Permitted:||
***DO NOT USE YOUR CAR GPS TO GET TO THE START POINT***
The weather is looking great for Sunday!
Join us for a fun Sunday Hike around Lullwater Park and Hahn Woods. We will go at a leisurely pace to take in all the sights and sounds. Please make sure you use the directions provided and do not rely on your GPS.
Emory University is one of the Southeast’s Premier Universites with over 22,000 people working on Campus; thankfully there are two great parks (Emory’s Lullwater Estate and Hahn Woods) to get away from the hustle and bustle of University Life.
We will be taking a variety of trails and aim to get in at least 4 miles before it gets dark.
As it will be getting darker towards the end of the hike, it is recommended to bring a small headlamp or flashlight for the last section of the hike.
This is a dog friendly hike and I will allow up to 3 well behaved dogs.
Thanks to Charlie for the Directions and Mark for the photo!!
|Required Items to Bring:|
• Wear comfortable well-broken-in Athletic Shoes or Hiking Boots and comfortable Lightweight Clothing layers appropriate for the weather.
• Hydrate in advance and carry in your pack a filled Water Bottle (or other favorite soft beverages)—or if you have one, your filled "Camelbak" or other hydration system. Consider carrying in your pack a compact Umbrella or lightweight emergency Raingear in case of a shower - also perhaps a Snack, pieces of Fruit, etc.
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
• Consider bringing a pair of Trekking Poles if you have a pair and like to use them. A simple Hiking Stick is an excellent alternative.
• Don't forget your SmartPhone or Camera - lots of nice photo-ops! —also perhaps bring lightweight Binoculars if you have a pair, for birding, etc.
|How to Get There:|
CAUTION for GPS USERS! As directed below, be sure to enter Starvine Way from Clairmont Road since its western end is restricted to Emory Campus buses! You may wish to augment these directions by entering as your GPS or Google.com/maps destination the following Address or Lat/Lon of the Clifton School parking lot:
Street Address: 1900 Starvine Way, Atlanta, GA 30322
Lat/ Lon Coordinates: 33.7953,-84.3115
DIRECTIONS from the "SPAGHETTI JUNCTION" I-85 / I- 285 INTERCHANGE in NE Metro Atlanta (Also for a zoomable color map or satellite view of the spot where we'll meet click on the square blue & green "Event Location icon" near the top of this article.)
1. From "Spaghetti Jcn" take I-85 South toward Atlanta about 4 miles and exit at Exit #91 "Clairmont Road."
2. Turn Left onto Clairmont Road (US-23 southeastward toward Decatur) and go about 3.2 miles to the traffic light at Starvine Way (The Starvine light is less than a quarter mile past the huge VA Hospital and is just north of the RR bridge over Clairmont.)
3. Turn Right onto Starvine Way and go 0.4 mile (through Emory's "Clairmont Campus" and a couple of stop signs) to the "Clifton School" parking lot on your Right. We'll meet near the steel & stone gate that blocks further passage along Starvine Way. Its signs say "Authorized Entry Only."
No Charge—Free Event with Free Parking!
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.