Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
Thrills In The Hills: Cycling Piedmont Park to Palisades - 7 AM Roll!
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Aug 17 2019 7:00 am >> Sat, Aug 17 2019 10:30 am|
|Registration Opens:||Sun, Aug 4 2019 6:00 am|
|Registration Cut Off:||Sat, Aug 17 2019 6:50 am|
|Event Duration:||3 Hours 30 Minutes +/-|
|Difficulty Rating:||D4: Moderate to Difficult (Exploratory)|
|Trip Leader(s):||Tom Jarosz (Juh'rose)|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||9|
|Minimum Group Size:||6|
|Number Registered So Far:||6 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
Note: This is an "EXPLORATORY" trip. This means that there are parts of this trip, or perhaps the whole trip, that is new to your Trip Leader(s). However, they are confident that this will not be an issue.
This note is here so that you can make an informed decision. When a Trip Leader isn't personally familiar with a trip, there is an increased chance of things not going as planned and you need to be prepared. The Trip Leader may have additional details in the itinerary.
Thrills In The Hills
Cycling Piedmont Park to Palisades
Variety is the spice of bikes (grin)... Please join us as we cycle 28+ hilly miles through the diverse and beautiful scenery of Atlanta. We will spin through Midtown's city streets, along meandering streams underneath interstate overpasses, past shady river views along the Chattahoochee, and into some of the hilly neighborhoods (mostly) inside the Perimeter.
The ride begins at Piedmont Park, winds through Ansley Park toward Peachtree Street, then follows Peachtree Creek behind Bobby Jones golf course and traverses neighborhood streets until we reach the Chattahoochee River at West Palisades. From there, we cycle on paved trails along Rottenwood Creek, which is beautiful despite the unfortunate name, before continuing past Cochran Shoals and Powers Island toward the opposite side of the Chattahoochee at East Palisades and heading back toward Piedmont Park. It takes about 3 - 3.5 hours for the ride, including a couple of scenic stops along the way.
This is not a casual ride. If challenging hills are the highlight of your ride, you will love this one! For those of you who ride the Big Creek Greenway on Tuesday or Sunday evenings, think quadzilla hills with killer scenery.
We will be biking on both paved trails and paved streets. Although there isn’t a lot of traffic during the early weekend mornings, you must be comfortable with biking on streets alongside cars and city traffic. We will be moving at a moderate pace, and average about 12 mph, excluding stops and photos shots. We expect to be finished by 10:30 AM. If you sign up, please allow flexibility with finishing time.
- Here's our map & link to the route -
- Important Notes -
1. For safety, helmet required to be worn during this event. No helmet = No bike ride, bye, bye
2. Wear light or bright colored clothing and working lights on both front and back of your bike for visibility.
3. Bring a spare inner tube & repair kit in case you get a flat.
4. We recommend bike or helmet mounted mirror since we’ll be riding on the streets.
5. This is a 'no drop ride', so no one will be left behind, but you are expected to keep up with the group.
6. Itinerary is subject to change and event finish time is a rough estimate.
7. Have your cell phone with you and 'on' during the ride for emergencies, flats, gps map and location, communication with trip leaders, etc.
8. Carry the trip leader(s) phone number with you.
9. If you're a Garmin user, please join our 'Atlanta Outdoor Club (AOC) Garmin Users' group to connect with other AOC Garmin users and track your activity. Join us at: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/group/2255568
|How to Get There:|
We will meet at Piedmont Park at the Piedmont Park Trail entrance off of Monroe Drive. The entrance is at a pedestrian crosswalk on Monroe Drive between Cumberland and Yorkshire Roads. Use 1515 Monroe Dr NE to pull it up on Google Maps or Waze. Cumberland and Yorkshire are both good streets to use for free parking, just pay attention to the No Parking signs.
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.