Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
Coosa Backcountry Loop - Winter hiking
|Event Location:||Vogel State Park|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sun, Jan 26 2020 7:00 am >> Sun, Jan 26 2020 5:00 pm (Carpool Departure: 7:00 am *log in for location*)|
|Registration Opens:||Wed, Jan 15 2020 9:00 am|
|Registration Cut Off:||Wed, Jan 22 2020 11:00 am|
|Event Duration:||10 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D5: Difficult|
|Trip Leader(s):||Steve H|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||8|
|Minimum Group Size:||2|
|Number Registered So Far:||5 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||Yes|
Join us for a 13 mile counter clockwise hike on the beautiful Coosa Backcountry Trail. We will start our hiking quest at Vogel State Park. Lots of hills, trees and views!
This is a strenuous hike and only for advanced hikers with recent D4 or D5 experience hiking in the mountains. This hike will be rewarding and should prove to be an adventurous day on the trail for those who are up to the challenge and would like to join us.
1. Itinerary is subject to change anytime at the discretion of the trip leader(s).
2. We will take breaks to allow the group to stay together, with MODERATE speed while we are moving.
3. Due to the difficulty, the trip leader(s) reserves the right to consider participant's past history and to make the final determination for participation on this hike.
4. Hydration will be important!
5. We will not have dogs on this hike.
6. One of our goals will be to reach the actual summit of both Coosa Bald and Slaughter Mountain. In order to reach to summit of Slaughter, we will need to do some light bushwhacking so be prepared with sturdy shoes. Your pants may get torn or damaged. If you don't wish to do this, you can stay on the Coosa backcountry trail and continue on toward Slaughter Gap.
7. Winter hiking in Georgia Mountains, we may see 20 degrees and stiff wind with some snow and/or ice on the trail or it may be 60 degrees, so be prepared by drssing in layers. We will stop to remove or add layers as we warm up or conditions change.
|How to Get There:|
Take GA 400/US 19 north to Dahlonega. We will make a pit stop in Dahlonega at the McDonald's there. It will be on your left on US 19. Then take US 19 north to where it joins US 129 at Turners Corner. Continue north on US 19/129 for 11 miles to Vogel State Park.
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||125Mile(s)|
|Carpool Departure Time:||7:00 am|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
|Carpool Directions:||Log in for directions|
|Carpool Cost:||Estimated cost per vehicle for this event is $50.00 using a reimbursement rate guideline of $0.400 per mile. The total amount should be divided by the number of people in the vehicle, including the driver. This is a guideline, not a rule, for drivers but the cost should not be higher unless there are extenuating circumstances.|
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Parking Fee, $5. Pay at the park.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.
This is a rain or shine event, but may be cancelled due to threat of widespread thunderstorms or icy conditions.