Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
Rabun Bald & Flat Top Mountain - Winter Hiking
|Event Location:||near Clayton GA|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Feb 22 2020 7:00 am >> Sat, Feb 22 2020 7:30 pm (Carpool Departure: 7:00 am *log in for location*)|
|Registration Opens:||Mon, Feb 10 2020 8:00 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Thu, Feb 20 2020 11:30 am|
|Event Duration:||12 Hours 30 Minutes|
|Difficulty Rating:||D5: Difficult|
|Trip Leader(s):||Steve H|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||8|
|Minimum Group Size:||4|
|Number Registered So Far:||6 / 5 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
Rabun Bald is the second highest peak in Georgia and the highest peak reachable only by foot. On a clear day you can see 100 miles and three states. We will begin our hike at the Three Forks Trail off Hale Ridge Road. The first three miles of the trail will pretty much take us straight up to Rabun Bald (4696 ft). After a short break and (hopefully) enjoying the 360 degree views from the fire tower, we will head southbound on Bartram Trail for three miles toward our second peak of the day, Flat Top Mountain. We will then continue on the Bartram Trail past Flat Top to an overlook for lunch.
After lunch, we will retrace our steps back up to the summit of Rabun Bald and then descend via the northbound Bartram Trail to where it crosses the Hale Ridge Road (a few miles up from where we started the hike). Depending on the group size, we can leave a shuttle car there in the morning, so the hike wraps up here - or we can hike along the forest road back down to the intersect of the Three Forks Trail.
1) Winter time in North GA can bring ice and snow at higher elevations! Hiking poles, yak trax (or similar) and good boots are recommended as sections of the trail are steep!
2) Recent D4 or D5 experience is required for this hike. The trip leader(s) reserve the right remove anyone for any reason.
3) Dogs will not be allowed on this hike
4) Due to this being a shuttle hike, priority may be given to those willing to drive to the trailhead and leave a vehicle
5) There is no meet at the trailhead on this hike. We will make a short stop (10 minutes) at the Ingles in Clayton at 8:30am.
6) We will be stopping in Clayton for dinner (possibly Mama G's).
7) Please arrive for carpool 10-15 minutes early so we can arrange rides and leave on time.
|How to Get There:|
Directions to trailhead will be given at carpool (or via email if "meeting at event").
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||200Mile(s)|
|Carpool Departure Time:||7:00 am|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
|Carpool Directions:||Log in for directions|
|Carpool Cost:||Estimated cost per vehicle for this event is $80.00 using a reimbursement rate guideline of $0.400 per mile. The total amount should be divided by the number of people in the vehicle, including the driver. This is a guideline, not a rule, for drivers but the cost should not be higher unless there are extenuating circumstances.|
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Approximate vehicle expense for this event is $78.80 (calculated at total miles (197) * $0.400, effective Monday, June 11, 2012). This is based on the current gas, maintenance, and other costs of $0.400 per mile as stated by the IRS & Cars.com. This should be divided by the total number of people in the vehicle (incl driver).
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.