Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
Rabun Bald, Flint Knob & Flat Top Mtn - Autumn Views - No carpool
|Event Location:||near Clayton GA|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Oct 24 2020 9:00 am >> Sat, Oct 24 2020 5:00 pm|
|Registration Opens:||Mon, Oct 12 2020 8:00 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Wed, Oct 21 2020 2:00 pm|
|Event Duration:||8 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D5: Difficult|
|Trip Leader(s):||Steve H|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||8|
|Minimum Group Size:||4|
|Number Registered So Far:||3 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
This is a three peak bagging trip. Rabun Bald (4696 ft) is the second highest peak in Georgia and the highest peak reachable only by foot. On a clear day you can see 100 miles and three states. We will begin our hike at the Three Forks Trail Head off Hale Ridge Road. The first three miles of the trail will pretty much take us straight up to Rabun Bald. After a short break to (hopefully) enjoy the 360 degree views from the fire tower, we will head southbound on Bartram Trail .9 miles to a junction for the Alex Mountain Trail and take a right turn. We will travel 1 mile toward our second peak of the day and a secret (shhhh) viewing point near the peak of Flint Knob (4240 ft). After that, we will then return back via the way we came back to the Bartram Trail and proceed two miles to Flat Top Mountain (4114 ft) where we will ake a short bushwhack to the summit.
After summiting Flat Top, we will rejoin the Bartram Trail northbound, retrace our steps back up to the summit of Rabun Bald and then descend via the Three Forks trail back to our cars.
1) Autumn in North GA can bring colder hiking weather! Hiking poles, yak trax (or similar) and good boots may be needed as sections of the trail are steep! Keep an eye on the weather and I'll update for local conditions.
2) Recent D4 or D5 experience is required for this hike. The trip leader(s) reserve the right remove anyone for any reason.
3) No dogs on this hike.
4) There is no meet at the trailhead on this hike. We will meet at the Ingles in Clayton at 8:15am. We will need to limit participation due to COVID and limited parking. We will leave Ingles at 8:15am so get there 10-15 minutes earlier if you plan a bathroom stop, pick up food, beverages etc at Ingles.
6) We will try to average a MODERATE (2.5 mph) pace. While not racing and I like to enjoy my day on the trail, we need to maintain pace to finish before dark. If you can't maintain the pace, please don't sign up.
7) A short bushwhacking may require long pants and long sleeves to prevent your skin getting torn up. Also, good shoes will be required.
|How to Get There:|
Directions to trailhead will be given at Ingles
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.