Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
Kennesaw Mountain Bird Walk
|Event Location:||Kennesaw, GA|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, May 1 2021 8:00 am >> Sat, May 1 2021 12:00 pm|
|Registration Opens:||Thu, Apr 15 2021 8:12 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Fri, Apr 23 2021 8:00 am|
|Event Duration:||4 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D3: Moderate|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||10|
|Minimum Group Size:||2|
|Number Registered So Far:||10 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
And now for something completely different. Please join us for some hiking and birdwatching at Kennesaw Mountain. We will complete approximately six miles of hiking with plenty of elevation change.
We will meet in front of the visitor center near the cannon. We will start hiking promptly at 8:00 am, so please arrive at least ten minutes prior to that time for introductions and orientation.
We are fortunate to have as our guest Jay Davis, a Georgia Audubon Master Birder, who will guide us in identifying spring migrants usually seen on Kennesaw Mountain this time of year. Migrants we hope to see include Scarlet Tanager*, Summer Tanager, Black-and-white Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Blue-headed Vireo, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and many more. We'll also be on the lookout for year-round residents such as Red-tailed Hawk, Northern Cardinal, Carolina Chickadee, and Carolina Wren.
We'll start by going up Kennesaw Mountain Drive and loop around to the upper parking lot, then pick up the Kennesaw Mountain Trail to the top of big KM. We'll follow the trail down to the saddle between Big and Little, up Little Kennesaw and turn left onto Camp Brumby Trail. Finally, we'll follow the Picket Line Trail back to our cars.
We will stay together as a group. Expect numerous stops to look at birds. If you are looking for a fast fitness hike, this is not the event for you.
Bring your binoculars!
*Scarlet Tanager pictured above. Photo credit: me, at Kennesaw Mountain!
|How to Get There:|
Directions and Parking:
1) I-75 North to exit 267B Hwy 5 Canton Road Connector
2) If you are not heading west after getting off of the Interstate you are going the wrong way. You should be heading towards US 41 and downtown Marietta after getting off of I-75 onto the Canton Road Connector and see Kennesaw Mountain on your right.
3) You will be tempted to take the first exit off of the Canton Road Connector which is US 41, but do not take it. Proceed over US 41 on a bridge staying on the Canton Road Connector.
4) After crossing US 41 take a right at the first redlight which is Church Street Extension.
5) You should cross railroad tracks soon.
6) Take a left onto Old 41 at the second redlight. If you get to US 41 again, you have missed the turn onto Old 41 so turn around.
7) Stay on Old US 41 until you pass in front of the mountain then turn left at the redlight and park in the main visitor center lot if you can. If full head back out to Old 41, take a left and park in the overflow parking lot farther down the road on the left.
Allow 10 minutes to walk from the overflow parking lot to the visitors center in the event that the main parking lot is full.
Kennesaw Mountain has implemented a new cashless entrance fee program, applicable at all parking lots. Entrance fees are: $5 daily, $40 annual. You can also use a National Park Service annual pass or America the Beautiful pass.
You can also purchase a pass at the visitors center or online at: recreation.gov
Face masks are required on NPS-administered lands where physical distancing cannot be maintained and in all NPS buildings and facilities.
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.