Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
Wagon Train Trail to Brasstown Bald
|Event Location:||Young Harris, GA|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Jul 10 2021 9:00 am >> Sat, Jul 10 2021 3:00 pm (Carpool Departure: 7:00 am *log in for location*)|
|Registration Opens:||Mon, Jun 28 2021 7:00 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Wed, Jul 7 2021 4:03 pm|
|Event Duration:||6 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D5: Difficult|
|Trip Leader(s):||Steve H|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||8|
|Minimum Group Size:||2|
|Number Registered So Far:||8 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||Yes|
The Wagon Train Trail follows an old roadbed that was abandoned some time ago. It is believed this was a favorite hiking trail of the former Governor Zell Miller who hailed from Young Harris and taught at the college there. It is also one of the big 3 trails that leads to Brasstown Bald, which at 4784 ft is the highest peak in Georgia. Our hike will began at the trail head of the Wagon Train in Young Harris, Georgia. We hike approximately 6 miles to the Brasstown Bald parking lot and will take a short break during which we will have access to bathrooms. We will then take the paved trail up for .6 miles to the summit. Once we reach the observation deck, we will take our lunch break and enjoy the 360 views of 4 states. After lunch we will re-trace our steps back down the mountain to our cars. This hike has approximately around 3000 feet in elevation gain so we would like to see hikers who have recently done high D4 and D5s with the AOC. The trip leader reserves the right to move anyone to the waiting list if he can't confirm you have the proper background.
This is MODERATE pace hike. That doesn't mean fast, but also not slow, but we will need to move at average speed of 2.5 mph to finish the hike as planned.
1. Itinerary is subject to change anytime at the discretion of the trip leader(s).
2. We will take breaks to allow the group to stay together, with MODERATE speed while we are moving.
3. The trip leader(s) reserves the right to consider participant's past history and to make the final determination for participation on this hike.
4. Hydration will be important, it may be HOT! There will be a few water sources along the way, if you want to bring a filter.
5. If not carpooling, arrive at 8:45 am, ready to hike. We will leave the Methodist Church parking lot to begin the hike at 9 am.
6. Up to 2 well-behaved dogs will be permitted, assuming it not to hot.
NOTE: We have a carpool on this event. If you sign up and wish to be in a carpool, drivers have descretion. Due to COVID, carpool drivers may be chosen based on willingness to take others and/or your willingness to show proof of vaccination or recent negative COVID test. Honor system may also be used.
|How to Get There:|
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||0Mile(s)|
|Carpool Departure Time:||7:00 am|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
|Carpool Directions:||Log in for directions|
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.