Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
AT Section: Hogpen Gap to Chattahoochee Gap out and back
|Event Location:||Hogpen Gap|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Oct 9 2021 9:00 am >> Sat, Oct 9 2021 5:00 pm (Carpool Departure: 7:00 am *log in for location*)|
|Registration Opens:||Wed, Oct 6 2021 5:00 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Fri, Oct 8 2021 5:30 pm|
|Event Duration:||8 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D6: Advanced|
|Trip Leader(s):||Steve H|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||10|
|Minimum Group Size:||2|
|Number Registered So Far:||6 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||Yes|
This is a last minute add to the calendar. Anyone who wants to join me and my dog, Zeus (pictured) for a leg stretch on the AT. He's working on finishing the entire Georgia AT.
So far, he's finished:
AT Approach Trail (8.3 miles)
Dick's Creek Gap to Bly Gap (9 miles)
Unicoi Gap to Dick's Creek Gap (17 miles)
Simple itinerary, we will leave from Hogen Gap, NOBO on the AT. Hike 9+ miles, 1,800 ft elevation gain. Arrive at Chattahoochee Gap, take a break for lunch, get water at the river, if needed. Heading back SOBO the way we came back to our cars at Hogpen. There aren't many good views on this section. There are some ups and downs but not too bad. They will add up to around 4,000 ft by the time we are done.
This is MODERATE pace hike. That doesn't mean fast, but also not slow, but we will need to move at average speed of 2.5 mph to finish the hike in the time scheduled.
1. Itinerary is subject to change anytime at the discretion of the trip leader(s).
2. We will take breaks to allow the group to stay together, with MODERATE speed while we are moving.
3. The trip leader(s) reserves the right to consider participant's past history and to make the final determination for participation on this hike.
4. Hydration will be important. There will be a few water sources along the way, if you want to save weight then bring a filter.
5. If not carpooling, arrive at Hogpen Gap parking lot 8:45 am, ready to hike. We will leave the Windward Park and Ride by 7:00 AM, plan to arrive to begin the hike by 9:00 am. We may stop at Ingles in Cleveland for bathroom break on the way.
|How to Get There:|
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||0Mile(s)|
|Carpool Departure Time:||7:00 am|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
|Carpool Directions:||Log in for directions|
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.