Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
Peakbagging: Horsetrough Mountain + Spaniards Knob + Brasstown - RESCHEDULED
|Event Location:||Mark Trail Wilderness|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Jan 8 2022 8:30 am >> Sat, Jan 8 2022 4:30 pm (Carpool Departure: 7:00 am *log in for location*)|
|Registration Opens:||Tue, Dec 28 2021 4:00 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Wed, Jan 5 2022 4:00 pm|
|Event Duration:||8 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D5: Difficult (Exploratory)|
|Trip Leader(s):||Steve H|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||8|
|Minimum Group Size:||2|
|Number Registered So Far:||6 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||Yes|
Note: This is an "EXPLORATORY" trip. This means that there are parts of this trip, or perhaps the whole trip, that is new to your Trip Leader(s). However, they are confident that this will not be an issue.
This note is here so that you can make an informed decision. When a Trip Leader isn't personally familiar with a trip, there is an increased chance of things not going as planned and you need to be prepared. The Trip Leader may have additional details in the itinerary.
This will be a fun holiday hike, bagging two of the lesser visited 4k peaks in the Mark Trail Wilderness, Horsetrough Mountain (4,040 ft) and Spaniards Knob (4,000 ft). We will travel approximately 13 miles and 3,400 ft of elevation gain for the day with two short bushwhacks off the AT.
The parking location will be on GA Hwy 180, at the junction of Jack's knob trail and the GA 180 spur. Theres is parking for multiple cars at this location. Once we have met up at the parking location, heading on the Jack' knob trail 3.5 miles toward the at Chattahoochee Gap. Upon reaching the Gap, we will take a short break and then head SOBO approximately 3 miles where we will leave the AT and bushwhack to the summit of Horsetrough mountain. After, we will leave the summit toward the AT and then head 3 miles back to Chatahoochee Gap. Once again, take a break to have our lunch. After lunch, we will head NOBO on the AT about one mile and reach a spot near Spaniard's Knob where we will bushwhack over to two small summits. We will then reach back to the AT and head back toward Chatahoochee Gap, where we will finally leave the AT and head back down the Jack's Knob trail towards our cars. We will then take a short drive up 180 spur to Brasstown Bald and hike the half mile summit trail to enjoy some views before heading back home.
1) I will have my dog, Zeus with me and will allow one other well-behaved dog. Please reach out to me ahead of time if you would like to bring your canine.
2) We will be following the approximate path of this AllTrails event:
3) Be aware, we could have briars, mud and even some snow so be prepared with proper gear. Of course, I'm hoping for a nice, clear day and may cancel if the weather would make the hike too dificult.
4) Due to the bushwhacking you will need an extra level of fitness to be successful. If I can't verify that you have recent D4 and D5 level experience I may move you onto to the waiting list and reach out to you.
|How to Get There:|
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||0Mile(s)|
|Carpool Departure Time:||7:00 am|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
|Carpool Directions:||Log in for directions|
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.