Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
D5 @ Amicalola: Hike Inn Loop + The Waterfall Stairs
|Event Location:||Amicalola Falls State Park|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sun, Feb 19 2023 8:00 am >> Sun, Feb 19 2023 5:00 pm (Carpool Departure: 8:00 am *log in for location*)|
|Registration Opens:||Wed, Feb 15 2023 7:10 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Sat, Feb 18 2023 7:00 pm|
|Event Duration:||9 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D5: Difficult|
|Trip Leader(s):||Bill S|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||10|
|Minimum Group Size:||3|
|Number Registered So Far:||7 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
- OVERVIEW: This hiking adventure at Amicalola Falls combines a loop hike to the remote Len Foote Inn (aka Hike Inn) with a climb up the stairs adjacent to the falls. The anticipated distance is about 11.5 miles with estimated elevation gain of 2,800 feet. We will hike at a moderate pace as a group with a lunch break and short rest stops along the way.
- THE HIKE: We'll begin our hike at the base of the falls, climbing the 603 stairs to the top. There, we'll take the Appalachian Approach Trail for a little over 4 miles, make a right turn onto the Len Foote Trail, and hike for another mile or so to the Hike Inn. We will break for 20-30 minutes at the Hike Inn for lunch; the staff there usually has drinks (and often desserts) for day hikers and they welcome tips in exchange. After our lunch break, we'll take the Len Foote Trail back to the top of the falls, then down the stairs to our cars.
- MEETING SPOT: We'll meet at the circular parking lot at the end of the road past the Visitors Center that's under construction. This is where the reflecting pool is located; it is NOT the parking lot at the top of the falls. (34.56334, -84.24690)
- CARPOOL: There is a carpool; 8 AM at Mansell Park & Ride at exit 8 on GA 400
- HIKE DURATION: The estimated duration of the hike is just a best guess. Please allow extra time in case of contingencies.
- WEATHER: We'll postpone if there's a high chance of bad weather. Hopefully we'll have a sunny January day.
- REQUIREMENTS: The elevation gain, pace, and distance give this hike a difficulty rating of D5. If you don't have recent D4/D5 experience, this is not a suitable event.
|How to Get There:|
If you are not joining the carpool we will meet at the base of Amicalola Falls in the circular parking lot next to the reflecting pool. Approximate coordinates are 34.56334, -84.24690. The entrance to the park is at the intersection of GA Highway 52 and Amicalola Falls State Park Road. See the top of this event description for a map link.
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||100Mile(s)|
|Carpool Departure Time:||8:00 am|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
|Carpool Directions:||Log in for directions|
|Carpool Cost:||Estimated cost per vehicle for this event is $40.00 using a reimbursement rate guideline of $0.400 per mile. The total amount should be divided by the number of people in the vehicle, including the driver. This is a guideline, not a rule, for drivers but the cost should not be higher unless there are extenuating circumstances.|
There is a $5 per vehicle entrance fee at Amicalola Falls State Park without a valid Georgia state park pass.
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.