Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
AT NC Slackpack
|Event Location:||Standing Indian Campground Backcountry Parking Lot|
|Date(s) & Time:||Fri, Mar 1 2024 10:00 am >> Sun, Mar 10 2024 6:00 pm|
|Registration Opens:||Sun, Jul 9 2023 7:00 am|
|Registration Cut Off:||Fri, Mar 1 2024 10:00 am|
|Event Duration:||9 Days 7 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D6: Advanced|
|Trip Leader(s):||Gary 'L'|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Member Cost:||$25.00/Person (See Detailed Cost Info Below)|
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||6|
|Minimum Group Size:||4|
|Number Registered So Far:||1 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
The plan is to "hostel hop" the section starting just after the Georgia border and running to the beginning of the Smokys.
We will stay indoors each night at a hostel but we need to carry whatever we need for the week in our large daypack. We will move from hostel to hostel and need to hike with everything we need (except in some cases where we will have a two-night hostel stay). Guest laundry and hostel loaner clothes most every night will minimize the need for extra clothes. We will sleep in coed hostel bunkrooms to save on cost but feel free to upgrade to a private room if that is your style and budget.
We will finish in the Fontana Dam area.
Highlights in order along the way:
Standing Indian Mountain overlook
Albert Mountain and Tower
Siler Bald open summit
Wayah Bald and Tower
Wesser Bald and Tower
Nantahala Outdoor Center and the Nantahala Gorge
Cheaoh Bald overlook
Jacob's Ladder climb
Fontana Lake and Dam
Mollies Ridge of the Smokys
Generally, each day will be a D4 or D5 but we might do a D6. Nine consecutive days of this without an off day warrants the D6 rating.
Water crossings are minor and will not require water shoes.
|How to Get There:|
We will use the long-term backcountry parking in the back of the Standing Indian Campground near the Backcountry Information Center kiosk.
Important information for paid events in which payment is managed through the AOC:
- Payment must be received by the payment due date and prior to participation in the event.
- Some paid events require a minimum number of registered participants. If that number is not met, the event will be canceled and refunds will be issued to those who have already paid.
- Third-party vendors often require damage deposits. Each registrant agrees to be liable for and required to reimburse the Atlanta Outdoor Club for any withheld deposits due to the actions of or damages caused by that registrant.
- No partial payments. All registrants must pay the posted Member Cost regardless of any agreement you may have with any party involved in the event.
- Read the event description carefully for additional information, and contact the trip leader(s) with any questions.
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
|Cost & Payment:|
$25 is the fee for the AOC.
Our daily cost should be less than $100 for lodging, meals, and shuttles.
|Payment Cut Off:||Payment must be received by the AOC on Fri, Mar 1 2024.|
|Make a Payment:||Click here for the details. PLEASE PAY AFTER YOU HAVE SIGNED UP BELOW.|
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.