Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
Pickett's Mill Battlefield State Park
|Event Location:||Pickett's Mill Battlefield State Park|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Mar 20 2010 1:30 pm >> N/A|
|Registration Opens:||Wed, Mar 17 2010 7:00 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Sat, Mar 20 2010 10:00 am|
|Event Duration:||2-4 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D3: Moderate|
|Trip Leader(s):||Steven Redmond|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||15|
|Minimum Group Size:||4|
|Number Registered So Far:||5 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||Yes|
|We will meet at the right (lower) parking lot of the Visitor Center. Unlike State Parks, State Historic Sites have an admission of $4.00 per person. State Historic Site passes may be used instead of $4.00. |
This historic park provides a unique look into the American Civil War that ravaged the South 146 years ago. Several thousand Confederate (South) and Federal (North) soldiers died fighting for their cause on this battlefield. Today, the park provides well-maintained trails around the 800-acre battlefield. Those who arrive early may view the museum and watch the movie before we go on our hike.
Before we begin the hike I will give a brief summary of the historic Civil War battle that took place on May 27th, 1864. We will then begin our hike from the Visitor Center. Along our 3-4 mile hike we will have plenty of time to see spring wildflowers in bloom, beautiful creeks, historic features, and damage from the flooding of September 2009.
Due to this flooding their will likely be a couple of moments of rock hopping across a wide creek. We may just have to get our feet wet. I'll do my best to keep us dry!
|How to Get There:|
|Event Directions:||Visitor's Center Address|
4432 Mt. Tabor Church Road, Dallas, GA 30157 (770) 443-7850
* Use one of the many different map websites to figure your best route using the above address.
* Because of the location of the park I cannot really give you directions. Depending on your location in Atlanta it may be easier to travel the interstate system while other may find it easier to use secondary highways and roads.
* There are only a couple of signs directing traffic to this park so you will need to rely on your directions/maps.
* For park details you may visit http://www.gastateparks.org/Picketts for the limited directions and map available by Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites.
• dogs must be on a leash at all times|
• there is a $4.00 admission per person
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.