Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
Saturday Morning Hike: Arabia Mountain
|Event Location:||Arabia Mountain|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, May 1 2010 9:30 am >> N/A|
|Registration Opens:||Fri, Apr 16 2010 8:00 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Fri, Apr 30 2010 10:00 pm|
|Event Duration:||2.5 hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D3: Moderate|
|Trip Leader(s):||Richard A. Zalik|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||18|
|Minimum Group Size:||6|
|Number Registered So Far:||17 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||Yes|
|We will be hiking in the Arabia Mountain Heritage Area. Like Stone Mountain, Arabia Mountain is a granite monadnock nearly 400 million years old. The area has unique plant and wildlife, spectacular geological formations, and interesting signs of human history. On our 4.2 mile hike we will explore the mountain, the old quarry areas, and a nearby lake.|
|How to Get There:|
1) From Atlanta or I-285 proceed eastbound on I-20 and get off to your Right at Exit #74 ("Evans Mill Rd/Lithonia").
2) Take the 1.3-mile-long exit ramp and access road STRAIGHT AHEAD to its end at the traffic light where Evans Mill Rd crosses underneath I-20. (AVOID BEARING RIGHT off the ramp at the first "Evans Mill" opportunity!)
3) Turn Right at the traffic light onto Evans Mill Road and go just 0.1 mile to the next traffic light.
4) At that light go straight ahead onto Woodrow Drive (avoiding the right turn to stay on Evans Mill or the left turn onto Mall Pkwy) and continue another 0.8 mile to the stop sign at Klondike Road.
5) Turn Right onto Klondike Road and after about 1 mile you will cross Rockland Road. Continue on Klondike Road about 1 more mile past Rockland Rd to the Arabia Mountain Heritage Area SOUTH parking lot on your left. (This free lot where we'll meet is less than 0.2 mile beyond Klondike Road's junction with N. Goddard Rd.)
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.