Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
Pickett's Mill Battlefield State Park
|Event Location:||Pickett's Mill Battlefield State Park|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Jun 12 2010 10:00 am >> N/A|
|Registration Opens:||Mon, May 24 2010 6:00 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Fri, Jun 11 2010 9:00 pm|
|Event Duration:||2-4 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D3: Moderate|
|Trip Leader(s):||Steven Redmond|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||16|
|Minimum Group Size:||2|
|Number Registered So Far:||16 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||Yes|
**While the length should not exceed 4 miles the up and down trail can be challenging for some.
**50% of this hike will be off trail.
**Because of the hilly terrain and 50% of our hike off trail (Sometimes called "Bushwhacking") I would rank this as a "High" D3. It just does not meet a D4 in my opinion.
We will meet at the right (lower) parking lot of the Visitor Center. Unlike State Parks, State Historic Sites have an admission of $4.00 per person. State Historic Site passes may be used instead of $4.00 (cash best).
This historic park provides a unique look into the American Civil War that ravaged the South 146 years ago. Several thousand Confederate (South) and Federal (North) soldiers died fighting for their cause on this battlefield. Today, the park provides well-maintained trails around the 800-acre battlefield. Those who arrive early may view the museum and watch the movie before we go on our hike.
Before we begin the hike I will give a brief summary of the historic Civil War battle that took place on May 27th, 1864. We will then begin our hike from the Visitor Center. Along our 3-4 mile hike we will have plenty of time to see spring wildflowers in bloom, beautiful creeks, and historic features.
*Note* This hike will be different from the last hike I conducted earlier in the year.
|How to Get There:|
|Event Directions:||Visitor's Center Address|
4432 Mount Tabor Church Road, Dallas, GA 30157 Park Phone: (770) 443-7850
* Use one of the many different map websites to figure your best route using the above address.
* Because of the location of the park I cannot really give you directions. Depending on your location in Atlanta it may be easier to travel the interstate system while others may find it easier to use secondary highways and roads.
* There are only a couple of signs directing traffic to this park so you will need to rely on your directions/maps.
* For park details you may visit http://www.gastateparks.org/Picketts for the limited directions and map available by Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites.
• dogs must be on a leash at all times|
• there is a $4.00 admission per person (Cash best)
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.
*Note: Call ME if you cancel last minute or are running late. 678.873.9092.