Mountain Biking at Chicopee Woods (Gainesville)
|Event Type:||Mountain Biking|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sun, Sep 11 2011
9:00 am >> Sun, Sep 11 2011 12:00 pm
Mon, Sep 5 2011 8:00 pm
|Registration Cut Off:
Sat, Sep 10 2011 9:00 pm
|Event Duration:||3 Hours |
|Difficulty Rating:||D5: Difficult|
|Trip Leader(s):||Harry F|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
Members Only, 21 And Older Only
|Maximum Group Size:||10|
|Minimum Group Size:||3|
|Number Registered So Far:||
8 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
|Are Dogs Permitted:||
OVERVIEW: Located just north of Oakwood, GA behind the old Elachee Village, Chicopee Woods has become one of the premier mountain biking destinations in the Southeast. The trail system includes varied terrain and lots of singletrack, over 21 miles of trails.... and plenty of fun creek crossings! There are restooms and a changing room (bring your own water).
Our pace will be moderate. We'll ride a minimum of 12 miles, and the trail is rated as intermediate thoughout, thus the D4 rating. Therefore, a fair amount of mountain biking experience is recommended. Our ride will include the Red Tail, White Tail, Flying Squirrel and Tortoise loops.
Please be ready to ride at the start time of 8:30, so that we can enjoy the cool morning temperatures. Here is a color map.
In case of cancellation or postponement due to rain (or trail closure due to recent rain), I'll send an E-mail by 10:00 the prior evening.
You can check the online trail status here, however please still check your E-mail in case of rain.
|Required Items to Bring:|
1) Mountain Bike (Please check it out before the day of the ride to ensure that it’s in working order)
3) Water Bottles or Camelbak and WATER
4) Spare tube & portable pump
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
Tool Kit, with tire levers, patch kit, allen wrenches and other wrences necessary to make adjustments (esp for seat, tires, pedals, handlebar)
|How to Get There:|
FROM the I-85/ I-285 INTERCHANGE in NE ATLANTA: (Allow about 40 minutes for the 36 mile drive from this interchange to the trailhead)
1. Head northeast on I-85 N 17.3 mi
2. Slight left onto I-985 N/Lanier Pkwy (signs for Gainesville) - Go 16.0 mi
3. Take exit 17 for State Route 13 toward Gainesville
4. Keep right at the fork to continue toward GA-13 N/Atlanta Hwy/State Route 13 N
5. Turn left onto GA-13 N/Atlanta Hwy/State Route 13 N - Go 1.8 mi
6. Turn right onto G Ave (look for Chicopee Baptist Church), then IMMEDIATE right onto A Ave, which becomes Elachee Drive.
7. Chicopee Woods bike trails will be 0.6 miles on your left, past the golf course. Look for Harry's bright green Honda Element to your left. Restrooms/changing station are further along to the left.
Free Parking, though miminum $1 donation suggested (near kiosk)
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.