Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
Decatur/Avondale Estates Easy Ride
|Event Location:||Decatur, GA|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sun, Oct 9 2011 10:00 am >> Sun, Oct 9 2011 12:00 pm|
|Registration Opens:||Tue, Sep 27 2011 9:00 pm|
|Registration Cut Off:||Sat, Oct 8 2011 8:00 pm|
|Event Duration:||2 Hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D2: Easy to Moderate|
|Trip Leader(s):||Harry F|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||10|
|Minimum Group Size:||3|
|Number Registered So Far:||7 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||No|
|(Photo is Lake Avondale in Avondale Estates)|
This is a pleasant 11 mile road ride through quiet and very low traffic neighborhoods. There are some moderate hills, but fewer than any other in-town ride I know of. This route was made popular by Southern Bicycle League as the "Sam's Old Freight Room" ride. We'll meet next to the Rail Kitchen & Bar at the train depot (previously Farmstead 303) on College Ave in Decatur, then ride through Decatur, Avondale Estates and Oakhurst.
Our pace of 10 to 12 mph is easy to moderate, with noone being dropped. However, you should be able to ride at least 15 miles on the Silver Comet.
Map of route can be found here (PDF) I'll try to have maps available as well. For those new to road biking, we'll cover some basic ettiquete and safety tips.
After the ride, stick around for an optional lunch.
|How to Get There:|
|Event Directions:||1. Head northeast on I-285 E 11.7 mi |
2. Take exit 39A to merge onto US-78 W toward Atlanta/Decatur 2.5 mi
3. Turn left onto Church St 1.7 mi
4. Turn left onto Commerce Dr 0.4 mi
5. Continue onto Barry St 0.2 mi
6. Turn right onto E Howard Ave
7. Parallel park on the road along the RR. We'll meet across the street from the train depot (formerly Farmstead 303). Free parking. Look for Harry's bright green Honda Element.
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.