Perfect Fall Weather Hike at Emory’s Lullwater Park & Hahn Woods
NE Atlanta near I-85 Clairmont Exit: 1900 Starvine Way
|Date(s) & Time:||Sun, Sep 9 2012
2:00 pm >> Sun, Sep 9 2012 5:00 pm
Sat, Sep 8 2012 8:00 am
|Registration Cut Off:
Sun, Sep 9 2012 12:00 pm
|Event Duration:||3 Hours |
|Difficulty Rating:||D2: Easy to Moderate|
|Trip Leader(s):||Charlie Cottingham|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
Members Only, 21 And Older Only
|Maximum Group Size:||15|
|Minimum Group Size:||2|
|Number Registered So Far:||
16 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
|Are Dogs Permitted:||
IN a NUTSHELL: Atlanta's weather this Sunday afternoon should be ideal for anything outdoors. The forecast calls for blue skies, low humidity and temperatures in the 70s!
Emory University's Lullwater Park and its adjoining Hahn Woods are prized by hikers and joggers as "crown jewels" of Emory's extended campus in NE Atlanta. The 185-acre forested nature preserve boasts a huge network of scenic trails. Attractions include Lullwater Park & Estate with its beautiful Candler Lake, old mill ruins and waterfalls, a 210-foot-long suspension footbridge over Peachtree Creek, blooming native plants, and sightings of songbirds, raptors, waterfowl, and occasionally even wild otters!
WHEN & WHERE? We’ll gather at 2:00 PM in the FREE Clifton School parking lot at 1900 Starvine Way—see detailed Directions below. We have permission to use it for free on evenings and weekends. You GPS users may wish to augment the directions by entering the school's Latitude/Longitude coordinates (also below) as your "destination," but CAUTION: Be sure to enter Starvine Way from Clairmont Road since its western end is restricted to Emory Campus buses!
EVENT PLAN: After introducing ourselves we’ll begin the hike at the Clifton School and continue around the lovely parklands and lake of Lullwater Estate, then explore both sides of the South Fork of Peachtree Creek with a thrilling walk over the suspension bridge. After visiting Hahn Woods Park we'll return via the creekside trails - should be back at the cars by about 5:00 PM. We'll take a leisurely pace, stopping occasionally to regroup and for photo-ops at several scenic spots—about 5 miles total.
Emory's park property is a popular place among dog lovers. We'll permit up to three well-behaved dogs on this AOC event provided they're leashed and under their owner's control at all times. If you'd like to bring your dog please make a note of that in your online event registration.
FOR NICE PHOTOS from our JAN 2011 AOC HIKE at LULLWATER PARK:
Check out Scott & Laura Erich's Picasa SmugMug photo album at the following link:
FOR MORE on EMORY'S BEAUTIFUL CREEKSIDE PARKLANDS including PHOTOS & HISTORY: Check out from the library David R. Kaufman's excellent book, "Peachtree Creek: a Natural and Unnatural History of Atlanta's Watershed," and go to:
Thanks to our AOC Director of Events Mark Reffett for his beautiful "promo shot" above of the Lullwater Park suspension footbridge, And thanks also to our friends at the Clifton School, for permission to use their great free lot! -Charlie
|Required Items to Bring:|
• Wear comfortable well-broken-in Athletic Shoes or Hiking Boots with a coarse tread and comfortable Lightweight Clothing layers appropriate for the weather.
• Hydrate in advance and carry in your pack a filled Water Bottle (or other favorite soft beverages)—or if you have one, your filled "Camelbak" or other hydration system. Consider carrying in your pack a compact Umbrella or lightweight emergency Raingear in case of a shower - also perhaps a Snack, piece of Fruit, etc.
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
• Consider bringing a pair of Trekking Poles if you have a pair and like to use them. A simple Hiking Stick is an excellent alternative.
• Consider bringing your Camera—also perhaps lightweight Binoculars if you have a pair, for birding, etc.
|How to Get There:|
From the "SPAGHETTI JUNCTION" I-85 / I-285 INTERCHANGE in NE Metro Atlanta:
1) Take I-85 South toward Atlanta about 4 miles and exit at Exit #91 "Clairmont Road."
2) Turn Left onto Clairmont Road (US-23 southeastward toward Decatur) and go about 3.2 miles to the traffic light at Starvine Way (The Starvine light is less than a quarter mile past the huge VA Hospital and is just north of the RR bridge over Clairmont.)
3) Turn Right onto Starvine Way and go 0.4 mile (through Emory's "Clairmont Campus" and a couple of stop signs) to the "Clifton School" on your Right. We'll meet near the steel & stone gate that blocks further passage along Starvine Way. Its signs say "Authorized Entry Only."
FOR A CUSTOM MAP & DIRECTIONS or FOR GPS NAVIGATION:
Go to Google.com/maps and input as your destination the following address or lat/lon of the Clifton School parking lot:
"1900 Starvine Way, Atlanta, GA 30322."
Latitude/ Longitude: 33.7953,-84.3115
CAUTION for GPS USERS: As mentioned above, be sure to choose a route that ENTERS STARVINE WAY from CLAIRMONT ROAD, since the other (western) end of Starvine is restricted to Emory campus buses.
No Charge—Free Event with Free Parking!
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.