Once you've reviewed the event details, and decided you'd like to join us, you MUST
sign up at the bottom of this page
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park
|Date(s) & Time:||Sun, Dec 9 2012
8:00 am >> Sun, Dec 9 2012 10:45 am
Thu, Dec 6 2012 4:15 pm
|Registration Cut Off:
Sat, Dec 8 2012 11:59 pm
|Event Duration:||2 Hours 45 Minutes|
|Difficulty Rating:||D4: Moderate to Difficult|
|Trip Leader(s):||Tom Jarosz (Juh'rose)|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
Members Only, 21 And Older Only
|Maximum Group Size:||12|
|Minimum Group Size:||3|
|Number Registered So Far:||
11 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
|Are Dogs Permitted:||
This is a six mile hike. It is the same route as the fitness hike, but at a more casual and social pace.
The hike will start around 8:00 AM, so please plan on meeting at 7:50 AM to sign in. You can either park at the new visitor parking lot on old US Hwy 41 or in the main visitor's center parking lot. Allow a few minutes to walk from old US 41 parking lot to the visitor's center if you park there - great way to stretch the legs and warm up for the hike!
We will meet at the visitor's center (Next to the Civil War artillery cannon) just outside for sign-in and introductions at 8 AM. We will hike the 1.2 miles to the 1808 ft. top of Kennesaw Mountain and sweat a little. From there, we will head across Little Kennesaw Mountain, cross Burnt Hickory Road for a short rest break - there is a water faucet there to refill your water bottle(s), then head back over Little and Big Kennesaw Mountains to the visitor center. What finer way to start off your Sunday!
A fun and enjoyable hike is the name of the game today!
- Intended for intermediate to advanced hikers with prior D3/D4 hiking experience, who don't mind hiking at a D3 pace. However, this is not a beginner hike or a sprint race.
- Please note the directions below.
|Required Items to Bring:|
Enough water or Gatorade
Good hiking or trail shoes
Rain gear (just in case)
Fun attitude and willingness to engage in friendly chat
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
Hiking stick(s) since it can be slippery/tricky coming down Little Kennesaw at times.
|How to Get There:|
Directions and Parking:
1) I-75 North to exit 267B Hwy 5 Canton Road Connector
2) If you are not heading west after getting off of the Interstate you are going the wrong way. You should be heading towards US 41 and downtown Marietta after getting off of I-75 onto the Canton Road Connector and see Kennesaw Mountain on your right.
3) You will be tempted to take the first exit off of the Canton Road Connector which is US 41, but do not take it. Proceed over US 41 on a bridge staying on the Canton Road Connector.
4) After crossing US 41 take a right at the first redlight which is Church Street Extension.
5) You should cross railroad tracks soon.
6) Take a left onto Old 41 at the second redlight. If you get to US 41 again, you have missed the turn onto Old 41 so turn around.
7) Stay on Old US 41 until you pass in front of the mountain and park on the right-hand side of the road (or in the new parking lot on the left) after passing the redlight for Stilesboro Road.
FYI: The new parking lot - approximately 270 spaces, is now open but parking on Old Highway 41 is not yet closed. Park by Old Highway 41 or in this new parking lot - whichever you feel more comfortable with.
8) Last resort / panic mode / all available parking spaces have been taken: When this happens, here is where to park - Turn around and head back in front of the mountain on Old 41. Take the first left which is White Circle Road. Take the first right which is White Road Court. Park on the side of the road.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.
No hike in the rain.