Once you've reviewed the event details, and decided you'd like to join us, you MUST
sign up at the bottom of this page
Saturday Afternoon Hike: Hahn Woods at Emory
NE Atlanta near I-85 Clairmont Exit
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Jan 12 2013
2:00 pm >> Sat, Jan 12 2013 4:30 pm
Tue, Jan 1 2013 7:00 am
|Registration Cut Off:
Sat, Jan 12 2013 2:00 am
|Event Duration:||2 Hours 30 Minutes|
|Difficulty Rating:||D2: Easy to Moderate|
|Trip Leader(s):||Richard A. Zalik|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
Members Only, 21 And Older Only
|Maximum Group Size:||18|
|Minimum Group Size:||2|
|Number Registered So Far:||
16 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
|Are Dogs Permitted:||
The 185-acre forested nature preserve at Emory University's Hahn Woods and Lullwater Park boasts an amazing variety of scenery. These parklands and their 5-mile trail network are prized by hikers as "crown jewels" of Emory's extensive campus here in NE Atlanta. Attractions include old mill ruins & waterfalls along the South Fork of Peachtree Creek, a 210-foot-long swinging footbridge over the creek, Lullwater House with its beautiful Candler Lake, thousands of native trees & plants, and frequent sightings of songbirds, raptors and other critters.
WHEN & WHERE? We’ll gather at 2:00 PM at the FREE Hahn Woods parking lot at 866 Houston Mill Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30329 where the road dips down and crosses Peachtree Creek—follow our detailed Directions below. Also click on the above red "Location Icon" for a map, and if you use GPS consider entering the included Lat/Lon coordinates as your destination.
EVENT PLAN: After introducing ourselves we’ll begin the hike on the pretty Hahn Woods creekside loop trail. Then we'll cross underneath the bridge to the other side of Houston Mill Road and follow the trail eastward along the South Fork of Peachtree Creek. We'll continue through the forest to the Emory President's estate and lake at Lullwater Park. After a thrilling walk across the creek via its $190,000 swinging footbridge we expect to be back at the cars by about 4:30 PM. We'll take a moderate pace, stopping occasionally to regroup and for photo-ops at several scenic spots—about 4 miles total.
FOR PHOTOS from a previous AOC HIKE at LULLWATER PARK:
Check out Scott & Laura Erich's Picasa SmugMug photo album at the following link: http://www.jauntsaroundtheworld.com/Atlanta-Outdoor-Club/2011-01-23-Hahn-Woods-Atlanta/
FOR MORE on EMORY'S PARKLANDS including its history and some fascinating photos: Go to this link and/or check out from the library David R. Kaufman's excellent book, "Peachtree Creek: a Natural and Unnatural History of Atlanta's Watershed." http://www.environment.emory.edu/ecology/lullwater.shtml
|Required Items to Bring:|
Water and good hiking shoes
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
• Consider bringing a Snack or Light Picnic Lunch in your daypack or fanny pack which you can munch on at scenic stops along the way.
• Consider bringing a pair of Trekking Poles if you have a pair and like to use them. A simple Hiking Stick is an excellent alternative.
• Consider bringing your Camera—also perhaps lightweight Binoculars if you have a pair, for getting a better look at birds, etc.
|How to Get There:|
DIRECTIONS to FREE HAHN WOODS PARKING LOT from the "SPAGHETTI JUNCTION" I-85 / I-285 INTERCHANGE in NE Metro Atlanta:
1. Take I-85 South toward Atlanta about 4 miles and get off at Exit #91 "Clairmont Road."
2. Turn Left onto Clairmont Road (US-23 southward toward Decatur) and go about 2.4 miles to the traffic light at Mason Mill Road (the 2nd light past Clairmont's big "North Druid Hills Rd" junction.)
3. Turn Right onto Mason Mill Rd and go 0.6 mile to the traffic light at Houston Mill Rd.
4. Turn Left onto Houston Mill Road and go just 0.3 mile down the hill. Just beyond the bridge turn Right into the gravel Hahn Woods lot where we can safely park during the hike. (In the unlikely event that this lot is full there's also free street-side parking on Mason Mill Road, just a 3- or 4-minute walk away.)
STREET ADDRESS and LAT/ LON COORDINATES of PARKING LOT: One or the other of these may be useful as your entered GPS or Google.com/maps destination in conjunction with the above directions:
866 Houston Mill Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30329
FOR a MAP of the PARKING LOT and its SURROUNDING AREA: Click on the red teardrop-shaped "Location Icon" at the top of this article.
Parking is limited. Consider carpooling with a friend.
No Charge! Free Event with Free Parking.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.