Once you've reviewed the event details, and decided you'd like to join us, you MUST
sign up at the bottom of this page
Saturday Afternoon Hike: Slo-Go Kennesaw
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Jan 19 2013
2:00 pm >> Sat, Jan 19 2013 4:30 pm
Sat, Jan 12 2013 8:00 am
|Registration Cut Off:
Sat, Jan 19 2013 8:00 am
|Event Duration:||2 Hours 30 Minutes|
|Difficulty Rating:||D3: Moderate|
|Trip Leader(s):||Richard A. Zalik|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
Members Only, 21 And Older Only
|Maximum Group Size:||18|
|Minimum Group Size:||4|
|Number Registered So Far:||
13 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
|Are Dogs Permitted:||
This event is for those that want to hike Kennesaw Mountain at a slower pace.
We will start and end at the visitors center.
Please look over the directions below to possibly save yourself some time getting there.
We will hike the 1.2 miles to the 1808 foot top of Big Kennesaw Mountain which is a climb of 657 feet. From there we will drop down about 500 feet to the gap between Big Kennesaw and Little Kennesaw Mountain, up and over the hump in the middle which is about a 20 foot climb heading towards Little Kennesaw, then down to the base of Little Kennesaw. From there it's about a 300 foot climb to the top of Little Kennesaw at 1601 feet. Then we'll head down the other side of Little Kennesaw and loop back to our starting point along a (rather flat) side road.
|Required Items to Bring:|
Plenty of water
Good hiking shoes
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
|How to Get There:|
1) I-75 North to exit 267B Hwy 5 Canton Road Connector
2) If you are not heading west after getting off of the Interstate you are going the wrong way. You should be heading towards US 41 and downtown Marietta after getting off of I-75 onto the Canton Road Connector and see Kennesaw Mountain on your right.
3) You will be tempted to take the first exit off of the Canton Road Connector which is US 41, but do not take it. Proceed over US 41 on a bridge staying on the Canton Road Connector.
4) After crossing US 41 take a right at the first redlight which is Church Street Extension.
5) You should cross railroad tracks soon.
6) Take a left onto Old 41 at the second redlight. If you get to US 41 again, you have missed the turn onto Old 41 so turn around.
7) Stay on Old US 41 until you pass in front of the mountain and park on the right-hand side of the road (or in the new parking lot farther down the road on the left) after passing the redlight for Stilesboro Road.
FYI: The new parking lot - approximately 270 spaces, is now open but parking on Old Highway 41 is not yet closed. Park by Old Highway 41 or in this new parking lot if the main parking lot is full - whichever you feel more comfortable with.
8) Last resort / panic mode / all available parking spaces have been taken: When this happens, here is where to park - Turn around and head back in front of the mountain on Old 41. Take the first left which is White Circle Road. Take the first right which is White Road Court. Park on the side of the road.
Meet prior to 5:00 PM at the cannon outside the main entrance of the visitor's center or just inside the lobby.
1) Allow 5 minutes to walk from old US 41 or the new parking lot to the visitors center in the event that the main parking lot is full.
2) Account for potentially bad traffic.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.