Once you've reviewed the event details, and decided you'd like to join us, you MUST
sign up at the bottom of this page
Kennesaw Mountain Hike
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park
|Date(s) & Time:||Tue, Jan 29 2013
12:00 pm >> Tue, Jan 29 2013 3:00 pm
Mon, Jan 28 2013 7:30 am
|Registration Cut Off:
Tue, Jan 29 2013 10:00 am
|Event Duration:||3 Hours |
|Difficulty Rating:||D4: Moderate to Difficult|
|Trip Leader(s):||Chris L|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
Members Only, 21 And Older Only
|Maximum Group Size:||16|
|Minimum Group Size:||2|
|Number Registered So Far:||
8 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
|Are Dogs Permitted:||
The Weather Channel says that we are going to have a nice day tomorrow with temperatures expected in the high 60's. It should be a perfect day for a hike.
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park is a fantastic area for intown hiking and fitness training. Training for an upcoming hike, backpacking trip, or trek? This is a great place to prepare for it, and the right event for it.
We will start at the visitors center which has a rather nice museum and movie on the battles here in 1864. We will hike the 1.2 miles to the 1808 ft. top of Kennesaw Mountain. From there, we will head across Little Kennesaw Mountain and cross Burnt Hickory Road for a short rest break. We will then head back over Little and Big Kennesaw Mountains. We will keep a moderate pace.
The total hiking distance is 6 miles.
REMINDER: This hike is intended for intermediate to advanced hikers with prior D4 hiking experience.
|Required Items to Bring:|
Lots and lots of water or Gatorade
Good hiking shoes
Rain gear (just in case)
Can do attitude!
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
|How to Get There:|
1) I-75 North to exit 267B Hwy 5 Canton Road Connector
2) If you are not heading west after getting off of the Interstate you are going the wrong way. You should be heading towards US 41 and downtown Marietta after getting off of I-75 onto the Canton Road Connector.
3) You will be tempted to take the first exit off of the Canton Road Connector which is US 41, but do not take it. Proceed over US 41 on a bridge staying on the Canton Road Connector.
4) After crossing US 41 take the next right at a redlight onto Church Street Extenson.
5) You should cross railroad tracks soon.
6) Take a left onto Old US 41 at a redlight. If you get to US 41 again, you have missed the turn onto Old US 41 so turn around.
7) Stay on Old US 41 until you pass in front of the mountain turn left onto Stilesboro Road and an immediate left into the visitor's center parking lot if there are spaces available.
Meet at 11:50 AM at the cannon outside the main entrance of the visitors center. Call the trip leader if you are running late, but please note that we won't wait on you. You will have to try and catch up with the group if you arrive late.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.