Add this event to your calendar (Outlook, iCalendar)
Add REGISTRATION REMINDER to your calendar
Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center
|Event Location:||Mansfield, GA|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sun, May 11 2014 2:30 pm >> Sun, May 11 2014 4:45 pm (Carpool Departure: 1:20 pm *log in for location*)|
|Registration Opens:||Sat, May 10 2014 11:00 am|
|Registration Cut Off:||Sun, May 11 2014 1:00 pm|
|Event Duration:||2 Hours 15 Minutes|
|Difficulty Rating:||D2: Easy to Moderate|
Email Trip Leader(s)
You must be logged in to get the Trip Leader contact information.
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 21 And Older Only|
|Maximum Group Size:||12|
|Minimum Group Size:||4|
|Number Registered So Far:||3 / 0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
|Are Dogs Permitted:||Yes|
Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center (CEWC) is a pristine 6400-acre GA DNR nature preserve less than an hour's drive east of Atlanta (15 miles SE of Covington, GA near I-20). It is an excellent destination for hikers, with more than 10 miles of well marked forested trails that loop around its lovely lakes and granite outcrops.
We will meet at the Charlie Elliot Visitor Center Parking lot. We will hike the Granite Outcrop Trail, Murder Creek Trail, Clubhouse Trail, and White Trail for about a 4.5 mile loop.
The Visitor Center is very nice, and after our hike is completed, anyone who would like can spend some time inside. The visitor center contains a collection of books, photographs and other hunting and fishing memorabilia that Charlie Elliott donated. The museum also houses a replica of Charlie's actual den, interactive wildlife exhibits, and a freshwater fish aquarium. A bird-viewing alcove overlooks habitat ponds and a native plant garden. There is also a Gift Gallery with apparel, field guides, birdfeeders and other unique gift items for sale.
|How to Get There:|
From the I-20 / I-285 interchange on the EAST side of Atlanta...
1. Take I-20 E toward Augusta for about 31 miles and exit to your Right at Exit #98, "GA-11".
2. Turn Right onto GA-11 (toward Monticello) and go straight ahead about 9.5 miles to its junction with Marben Farm Road. (En route you'll pass through the town of Mansfield. Look for the Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center directional sign at the Marben Farm Rd junction.)
3. Turn Left onto Marben Farm Road and go 1.0 mile to Elliott Trail.
4. Turn Right onto Elliott Trail and go 0.5 mile to the Visitor Center parking lot.
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||0Mile(s)|
|Carpool Departure Time:||1:20 pm|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
|Carpool Directions:||Log in for directions|
* We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines while participating in AOC events.
Cancellation/Partial Attendance: Please review the AOC cancellation policy.